Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Under the Sea - Voyage to Disney: Phone Interview

The Phone Interview. Now this was something I knew I could do. If there were any two things in the world I could talk about it was myself and Disney. I was not going to be a POOR UNFORTUNATE SOUL due to a bad interview. I scheduled my phone interview for March 4th, 2014 at 9:45p.m. I did a bit of research for the phone interview and preparation. I looked at the information on the Disney college website and had some notes on my computer for during my interview. I gave Disney my office phone number to call.

Disney said to be ready for my interview 15 minutes early, and so I was. I wore a pink Minnie Mouse shirt to get me in the Disney mood and kept a bottle of water on the desk. To calm my nerves a bit, I played Disney Pandora before my phone call. I was told they usually call any time 15 minutes before or after the interview time. At about 9:55 I got the call! A woman introduced herself as Renee from Disney recruiting and asked if this was still a good time for the interview to which I responded “Of course!” Renee was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable for my phone interview. Instead of feeling like a GUPPY I felt like a shark, ready to answer with as much enthusiasm as I could muster! No COLD FINS here!

Renee asked questions about my work experience, role preferences, different work environment and conditions, crisis and emergency management, working in a team, handling money, and of course why I wanted to participate in the program. I’m not going to write any specific questions in order to protect Disney’s interview process. I will, however, share my answer for why I wanted to work in the program. This was basically my response: I've grappled with whether or not to apply for the program for a long time because I was concerned that working for Disney would ruin the magic I've always believed in. Then I realized that a lot of people think that Disney is an escape from reality, but in actuality, it is reality at its finest. It isn't the films or the rides or the characters that make Disney magical. It's the people behind the scenes creating them that make Disney magical. I believe in magic, but I believe it needs to be made. I want to be a part of a company that has created so much magic internationally. I want to be the reason that people be
lieve in magic. I've tried to bring some Disney fairy dust to other places that I've worked in but I know in my heart that I truly want to immerse myself in an environment where everyone is doing that!



At the end of the interview, I had the opportunity to ask Renee a few questions. I mostly asked about her experience with the program because any other questions I could find an answer to online. She spoke very passionately about her experience working for Disney and I really appreciated her taking the time to share her experience with me. After my questions, we thanked each other and that was the end of the interview! It wasn’t anything like SEBASTIAN’S experience with CHEF LOUIS – I didn’t feel grilled or roasted in anyway! I received a follow up e-mail the next day thanking me for my phone interview (which accidentally addressed me by my last name instead of my first name). I instantly grew impatient about finding out whether or not I was accepted. All I wanted was to be PART OF THAT WORLD!



No comments:

Post a Comment